Monday, May 31, 2010

The "Parents process"

A real life process that inevitably every full time Art of Living teacher enjoys in their life is the "Handling the parents process "! And I tell you it is really deep and insightful. Here is my version of the 'process'.

Luckily for me, my dad was cool... He always had just one stance... "If you are sure... Go ahead ! "... He was my only supporter... I feel so grateful for that !

All the strength, patience, and faith was tested with my mom ! I remember, each time anyone of her friend or relative asked my mom what her son was doing (generally)... My mom would become silent... She would almost cry ! Each time she would talk to me or meet me she would be in tears !! And I tell you its not easy to see that... When you see people who really love you so much, crying because of you... But then... If I looked at the reasons, why she was crying... they were " He has such a nice job & salary there ?"... " What will he do here ?".... " How will he survive ?"... " What about us ? "... " How will he take care of us ?"... " How shall I face my friends & relatives ?"... " What about his marriage ?"... etc...

Basically all these were questions that were mainly coming from 'insecurity' & 'herd mentality'... And that is what a large majority of parents in India suffer from... So, at that point all I would say is, have faith and all will be taken care off ! I would tell her, "You think I serve the whole world and no one would take care of me ? "...

While making my decision, the only thing that I was not too happy about was that, I thought that I would not be able to support my parents financially. After being placed in Holland, I had promised my parents that I would fund them for making a house... I told them they wouldn't have to worry about any luxuries... Now, I just had this doubt that what about all that... However, then I thought to myself that they anyway have everything they need, I would not be able to satisfy all their 'greed'... So what... After a few months at the ashram, my dad was retiring from Air Force... This question again came up... What about making the house in Ooty... Where would they stay... What about the income... What about a new job etc...

It is said, that when one walks on the spiritual path, all the merit of 'seva, satsang & sadhana' first goes to their ancestors upto 7 generations! And this is what I started seeing... I saw my parents prospering and blossoming in every way... Before dad retired, he had several great job offers. And the best one was in Bangalore itself ! My mother who used to feel so unsecured, specially about money matters, now had completely changed... As if 'abundance' had dawned on her... Actually abundance had really dawned upon our whole family... We had an old plot that gave us unexpected returns... Dad got a great job ! They bought a nice flat... and started building the Ooty house...

After all the fear, insecurity, crying, fighting, sulking... Finally my parents feel sooo proud of me now ! Earlier, if someone asked, " Your son has studied from IIT and abroad... And now, what is he doing... what is he going into ?"... She would just breakdown and would not have anything to say... But now, SHE tells people... " My son, although he is from IIT, he travels around the country and spreads happiness around the whole world !"...

It is said that:
In the presence of the sat guru;
Knowledge flourishes (Gyana raksha); Sorrow diminishes (Dukha kshaya); Joy wells up without any reason (Sukha aavirbhava); Abundance dawns (Samriddhi); All talents manifest (Sarva samvardhan).

And I started to see all these happening not only in my life, but with my parents as well !

9 comments:

Santhu said...

Nice Post Monk !!
Hope my parents also realise this :)


love,
santhu

Varsha Joshi said...

The first thing that flashes in everyone's mind ! ~ Why and for what reason this path? ~ My take is this is the biggest gift one can give to himself or anyone associated to self!

Blessed are your parents to have a son like you!

Unknown said...

Jgd...
Bhaiya, thanks for sharing..!!
Wow... Totally Inspired :)

Unknown said...

Bhaiya just day before yesterday dipita asked me how after leaving all your job and being permant in aol how u manage ur responsibilty towards parents then.this question never came in my mind and i also didn't ask you. because when we are with you in course i just forget questions...now got the answer to tell her...if aquestion arises in mind the answer also comes that means...even without effort....jai guru dev

Ritapa

Tee-hee said...

One word- Wow.

vishesh said...

Lovely vishal bhaiyya !!! Answered a question running around my mind for the last few days !!!

Anshika said...

thats really well-written..
Jai Gurudeva..

komal said...

wow vishal amazing post.. i also keep wondering how when we feel the gratitude towards the guru then the abundance grows in every aspect of life.. beautifully explained by giving examples of ur own life for this phenomenon .. jgd..

Anonymous said...

Nice one dude. And fantastic cartoon by the way.